Friday, August 7, 2009

The Whitney and DA MET!

Well, I chose the Whitney as one of my optional museum visits.  I wanted to go because I had never been to the Whitney and it is contemporary art.  First of all, I must say, I thought that the lime green tickets for the Whitney were really cool -- not relevant but something that I noticed and I know that a lot of thought was put into it.

I liked the Whitney....it was smaller and easier for me to manage myself there.  My favorites there were anything by Charles Oldenburg.  I am glad I went to the Whitney, because like with my epiphany at MoMA with Piet Mondrian I saw a whole new side of Oldenberg that I wasn't aware of.  One of my favorite things there in Oldenburg's exhibit was his Dream Pin.  All of his soft sculptures were really cool and edgy.  I liked how even though he was not working with something that would become a hard and definite finished object everything he made still looked lifelike.  

Dream Pin, I really liked it and sketched it for a while and included it in my collage.  I like how he took an everyday object and took the time to study it and draw it and make it art.  I also was only familiar with Oldenburg's sculpture so I liked seeing his sketches. 

I liked Edward Hopper's work too.  I am not sure what drew me into his paintings.  I liked the blonde busty girl that was in a few of them.  I don't know if it was the colors or the people and the time period that he created in the paintings, but I was drawn to his work for some reason.

THE MET
The Met also was wonderful as to be expected.  I was almost frustrated there though because it was so crowded and I knew I wouldn't be able to see everything the museum had to offer!  I went to the fashion exhibit and enjoyed it.  The Francis Bacon exhibit really stayed with me after I left the museum.  

I liked the Bacon exhibit, because I felt that by looking at all the paintings that he created over his career that I knew him.  First of all, I never knew that Bacon was gay.  This makes more sense to me knowing this because he rarely ever painted females.  Also, it seems that Bacon lived a hard life and had a fast lifestyle.  

I loved the Bacon exhibit, because I actually read about and understood the emotion behind his work.  I have never felt like I understood all the "personal stuff" about an artist before.  It made me realize how much art is connected to emotions.  It evokes emotion and it is made because of emotion.  I always knew that some artist didn't paint when they were depressed but I left knowing so much more about Bacon's work and his life and the emotion that he put into his paintings.  I felt a little bit like an intruder on his personal life and space but I guess that is all a part of being an artist....you put yourself out there to be judged! Now we are all going to have to do that soon! SCARY!

No comments:

Post a Comment