Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Museum Mile

This morning, Sarah, Dora Lee and I enjoyed breakfast at the little cafe across the street from our dorm called Tazza. It was delicious, and I'm sure we kept the other customers and staff entertained with our photo shoot!









Next, we journeyed over to the Whitney Museum to take in all the art it had to offer! Dan Graham's installations were absolutely fascinating! The security guard encouraged Sarah and I to play inside one of the pieces, where he secretly allowed us to take pictures!
 This double-sided room was so much fun! I also loved the installation where two cameras and televisions were placed on opposite sides of the room and delayed images were used. 
My time spent at the Whitney allowed me to learn about different, contemporary artists I can take an interest in. Needless to say, I wrote down many names and pieces. I was really amazed by Claes Oldenburg's music inspired pieces. I
n comparison with MOMA, the Whitney Museum was not quite as interesting, but it was less crowded and that to me was a definite plus! A lot less overwhelming.

After eating a delicious hot dog from a local street vendor, we went to The Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is giiiiiiiinormous. I could literally spend 5 days in there and still not see everything. I really enjoyed the tour we went on with the Met intern where she showed us her favorite pieces. The Met definitely has the overall selection of all the museums we have visited. Not to say it's my absolute favorite, but it's pretty amazing! It has so much to offer anyone and everyone. I got some good drawing time in, sketching out a few of the Roman sculptures. The view from the roof of the Met was so great. I can't believe it's almost Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment