Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wednesday in NYC













































I was so excited to finally visit both Central Park and MOMA today! Although I wish I could have seen more of the park, I absolutely loved the area I chose to sit at and sketch. I sat on a park bench to the left of this little restaurant called The Ballfield Cafe. I chose to focus in on the interesting roof design and tops of the umbrellas. 





We had lunch at a little pub a few blocks down from MOMA, and they had delicious hamburgers! When first arriving at the Museum of Modern Art, I experienced an instant fascination. I literally could have spent all day long in there just walking around and gazing at every single piece of art. The installation on the second floor where the guy had organized everything from his mother's home was insane! I was so excited to see the famous works of artists, such as Van Gogh, Picasso, Warhol, Mattisse, and Lichtenstein. To my surprise, Van Gogh's Starry Night was so small. Since middle school, I had always pictured it to be this gigantic painting; a sky the size of an entire wall that one would simply get lost in. I absolutely fell in love with Picasso's Lady in the Mirror. I have seen pictures of it before, but never knew the suggested story behind it that Sarah shared with me. 
Another artist that I enjoyed was Jackson Pollock's work. I never was one to say it isn't art, but seeing it up close and from all angles was really intriguing. If Pollock's work can be argued over, then much more should be taken into consideration. The part of the museum where our height was written on the wall as part of an installation wrapping around the room was so exciting. I can now say that I contributed a piece to MOMA...haha! I chose to do a master copy of a painting featured along one of the staircases leading down from the fifth floor. It was called Moby Dick, but I can't remember the name of the artist at the moment. It was a colorful painting, that I attempted to translate into black, white and hues of gray using my charcoal pencil. I attached some pictures below to look at. We had fun visiting the museum and taking goofy pictures with some of the installations! I even bought a poster. I am so excited about visiting PS1 and the Met tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment