Friday, August 7, 2009

Thursday-8/6/09

Thursday was the fourth day in NY, and we had a free morning to do museum visits. The Whitney was my museum of choice. I picked it because it has modern art, and modern art it is usually more appealing to me. One exhibit that I found interesting was Dan Graham: Beyond. He had several different large pieces that were made of large walls of reflective tinted glass and mirrors. They were large enough that one could actually walk into the space that was created. It was interesting because the reflections you saw of yourself made you feel as if you were part of the artwork. You became the focus of the art, and it was sometimes humorous and embarrassing. It almost reminded me of the trick mirrors that you would see at a carnival. I would even compare it to the wall that you could record your height on in the MoMA because it provided such a connection for the viewer.
The Met

On the roof of The Met

Next, we hit up the Met. It was unbelievably amazing but also overwhelming. After much walking around and getting lost, I decided to return to the Mezzanine floor that was used for the storage of American Art (the room that contained Madame X). It was such a relief to be there. There were barely any people, and it had such a variety of things (paintings, furniture, baseball cards, etc.). Although I really enjoy large museums like the Met, they can be exhausting. I like to be able to focus on a piece of artwork rather than feeling rushed walk by it because there are 20 other people waiting to see it. I like the peace and quiet of rooms like the storage area, and they feel like they contain such hidden treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment