Saturday, August 8, 2009

Seeing art in person



The best part, in my opinion, about going to all the museums is getting to see the artwork up close and in person. For me, its kind of a make or break type of situation. You can love a piece of artwork that you have studied, and when you see it in person, be absolutely overwhelmed by it. To be able to look at a famous piece of work up close and see every brush stroke is incredible. The one that stood out to me was "Starry Night" by van Gogh. The organized randomness of his small brush strokes is insane. My favorite part of getting to see that piece up close was that if you look around the edges, you can see that some parts don't come all the way to the end of the canvas. Its just small details like that that make it so real and remind you that a person just like you and me painted it.

On the other hand, some pieces aren't as impressive as I thought they would be. Most of the time, it was the size that shocked me the most. These artists are so famous, and seeing their work, in itself, its awesome. But the actual piece of work isn't as amazing as i would have thought. Some pieces were a lot smaller than I would have thought, which was kind of disappointing. Overall, I think you still can't really know a piece of work until you see it in person.


No comments:

Post a Comment