Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Today was a great day in New York!  After being here a few days, I feel like I am really getting into the swing of things.  Yesterday, while wandering around the city I realized that there was something around me that I had never noticed.  My intelligent insight was that art is everywhere.  I never took the time to think until now that art is all around us.  Art is everywhere.  

In Grand Central Market we found a beautiful chandelier hanging from the ceiling.  The people making their daily commutes did not give the beauty of this chandelier a second look.  They were immune to it.  However, a new and fresh eye walked into the market and saw absolute beauty in the middle of a very common place.  I liked the fact that I could find beauty in an average everyday place like the grocery store.  Even the tiles on the subway were pretty.  These things did not wind up in their locations for no reason, someone put them there! That someone was an artist!  These artists were hired to put art all over this city! -- The art is here and everywhere to better our environments, to make the hum drum of day to day just a little more bearable. 

I began to realize that art is actually everywhere.  I feel that there are many beautiful things that I have probably looked over, because I was de-sensitized to their presence.  For example, I don't look at the buildings on campus or the grove and take the time to realize how wonderful they all are.  I, like the New Yorkers who didn't even notice the glittering chandelier had become numb to beauty and art in my everyday life.  I think that when I return home I need to take the time to revisit my own favorite places and savor the beauty there and not to take art for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment