Saturday, August 8, 2009

Time flies when you are having fun...


Today, I visited the Frick Galleries. I had never been and I am glad that I went. Mr. Frick definitely had specific tastes- landscapes and portraits. I saw some lovely Rembrandts and Vermeers. My favorite genre is Dutch still life- New York City has little to no still lifes. I saw one Heda painting at the Met. hmmmm.... I guess I need to teach Draw! Paris or Draw! Amsterdam in order to see some good still lifes. No pictures at the Frick, but I took some images of the garden.

This is one of the paintings I saw- I didn't expected to like a Whistler show- but I think this is a really smart painting.


I headed down to the Bowery and saw the New Museum. The building is outstanding. I saw David Goldblatt and Emory Douglas exhibit. Emory Douglas was the official artists for the Black Panthers. Some of the graphic design was really nice. David Goldblatt is a more political William Eggleston. He is South African- his pictures are banal and beautiful. However, his works tells you so much about the racial issues there.



I am heading back in the morning. We just finished an awesome dinner at Gnocco in the East Village. Safe travels...

No comments:

Post a Comment