Friday, August 7, 2009

I can't believe thursday has come and gone!




Soo... I also wanted to go to PS1 but noon made that a no go. Instead I trecked the subway system like a brave little girl all the way to The Brooklyn Museum of Art (less than five stops from the Clark subway stop). Anyway, I am really happy that I went to this museum. It was quiet and I had my own personal space as I walked as slowly as I wanted through each part of the museum; not bothering to look at a map even once. De ja vu quickly came over me as I found myself in wonder over all of the different mediums ONE artist can work with. The most standout artist at BMoA, for me, was Yinka Shonibare. His work reached from the world of fashion to instillation art and photography. However, I was pleasantly suprised by the films in his exhibit. One was an interpretation on Swan Lake. Two ballerinas danced the same dance, and depending on the camera angle, one was a reflection in  mirror. The was Shonibare grabbed ideas from other artists to compose his artwork struck me as interesting and I love to think that any art from any period can effect all art that is to come. 
After BMoA I met up with the class on the steps of the Met (yes, I made there on the subway AND on time)! This museum was SO large and considering how slow and comfortable the Brooklyn Museum was, you might can tell I was a little shocked by the pace. There was no way to see everything and I knew that if I looked at a map I would just be upset at all the art I missed. So, I wandered. It was amazing to see artists like Francis Bacon at this spot. I needed more time! When I come back to New York the Metropolitan will be a place I revisit for sure. 
I feel like I've seen a little of the city now, and I'm ready to make some judgements. One-EVERY country of the world is represented in this city. Two-ALL of them go to the Met. Three-people in New York co-exist in a way they NEVER would in Oxford. I think cities like this are amazing. My favorite quote in the world is from Mark Twain, "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." And although I have traveled a fair bit before, this is the first time I have noticed all of the different nationalities that coexist in a place like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment