Friday, August 7, 2009

Mr. Wright, The Guggenheim and Me.

So today we visited the Guggenhiem and got a glimpse into the way Frank Lloyd Wright viewed architecture and the potential of buildings. Mr. Wright was most certainly a visionary. On one of the buildings for which plans and model were on display the label stated the Mr. Wright had been approached with a request for a two or three story building. He responded with plans for a 22 story tower with an adjoining parking structure. I really don't think the man knew how to dream small. Some of his ideas were truly epic! His futuristic city was gorgeous including air taxis, gorgeous towers, and plenty of space. Its understandable as to why it never was built, but still its a pretty neat dream. His Pittsburgh Park and Recreation Center plan was I think my favorite. His design for an aquarium with two huge spheres filled with sea life was just awesome and I think it would be a fantastic design to implement. However, I don't believe this one ever was.
Being in the Guggenheim was in itself interesting b/c it was built by Mr. Wright and was a great example of his work. Its was certainly a good example of his love of including geometric shapes in his works in innovative ways. The building's shape seemed to be rather peaceful and just felt smooth. However, the building didn't seem peaceful overall to me. Maybe its because I was rather tired, maybe it was b/c of all that white paint. I don't know. I personally like the Met better, the browns seem calming to me. I also noticed that the building as a whole doesn't have much permanent installation space. It seems set up to be more of a gallery, a huge gallery, than it does a museum. However, I really like the building. I would just like to paint it a slightly less jarring color. Which, I mean I don't understand this intense fascination with white that the art world has. All of MOMA and the majority of galleries seem to all be painted white inside. I understand that you want the walls to fade away so that the viewer can focus on the art, but I think light grays and browns would do just as well. So anyway, those are my thoughts on the Guggenheim.


No comments:

Post a Comment