Tuesday, August 4, 2009

And here goes for my second post!  

This time, I have been reflecting on the pace of this city.  Everything and everyone is constantly going, moving, working, exercising and just being plain weird.  Most notably, the subway is always going.  The subway is not only always moving but it transports the busy people everywhere too.  It is like the heart of the people and the city.  Most average people that live here use it everyday and for every reason -- work, school, shopping, whatever.

Also, as I was sitting on a rock in Central Park I watched runners and bikers.  They were all going nonstop and at full throttle, which is only slightly slower than they walk on the sidewalks!  One thing I have noticed about this town that is different from the South is the pace.  Just like the runners in Central Park, it is like everything here is a race.  Just as surely as you slow down to rest for a second, someone faster, younger and better passes you.  People here have to keep up a constant pace to stay on top and every second there is someone else coming to knock them out and take their place.  I have never experienced this at home.  Sure, everyone wants to get ahead, but people in the South are not so obvious about it.  The city seems cold sometimes, the people are not as warm as the ones I am used to.  

I use to think that I wanted to live here, however now I am not as sure.  I do not know if I could keep up the grueling pace and be the cut-throat witch that I would have to be to survive here.  I guess that it is true that it only takes leaving to appreciate what you have at home!!

:)

3 comments:

  1. Great post! This is very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff.

    Everything is a blur in the City That Never Sleeps. If you don't keep up with the flow, you get mowed down!

    When you guys get back, y'all should have an exhibit of the work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having a show with Brooke's photo safari class at the Frame Up in late August.

    ReplyDelete