Friday, August 7, 2009

Guggenheim Museum





























Today we ventured all the way up on the east side of Manhattan to the spectacular Guggenheim Museum designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Conveniently, his exhibit was showing at the museum. I had been looking forward to seeing this museum and exhibit all week, and it definitely did not disappoint. I love architecture, and I almost career-wise went that route, so this exhibit was just for me. I was fascinated by the sixty something different projects of Wright's that were on display. The floor plans, side views, overall drawings and plans, and even real models were all there and full of detail. The structure and form of these beautiful designs just blew me away. Wright truly was one of the greatest architects of the 20th century. Also, this museum houses a Van Gogh and a Monet painting. Both were extremely beautiful. Van Gogh is my favorite major artist, so every time I get to see one of his paintings, many of which are landscapes including this one, I am just in awe. His colors and brush strokes are just amazing. Overall, this museum has ended up being one of my favorites in all of New York. 
After the museum, we went to the Empire State Building. This was my second trip there this week, but this time I got to go to the top during the day. I got some great pictures, one of which is on display above. Just looking at all the amazing buildings and layout of the city amazes me. I could stand and gaze over the city for hours. 
This concludes our day of class. It was one of my favorite days by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment