Friday, August 7, 2009

catching up on my blogin' fools!!!



WHEW!!! What a time we have had so far! I got a little behind with my blogging and now I am hitting the ground running ready to catch up!  

Ok....where to begin? There have been too many amazing things that we've all done and seen.  I could write all night about it! Also, all of us already know what has been going on this week so why waste my breath, or keystrokes in this case.

I have noticed that it has been hard to keep up the pace of this city.  I know that at least in room 707 we all are exhausted by the end of the day and usually end up at home and in bed by 9:00 or so.  I have found this trend to be somewhat different to my life in Oxford.  I love it here because of the fact that there are so many things to do during the day.  In Mississippi I dread Saturdays and Sundays from the hours of about 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.  

However, in New York I wake up early (yes 8 and 9 a.m. is early to me) and I am actually in a good mood and look forward to the plans that lay ahead.  I wish that the museums could open up earlier, because I want to get in there and see everything and do everything that this city has to offer!! I wish that I could have the same type of enthusiasm towards my life at Ole Miss.

I want to learn to be more like a New Yorker.....No, not in every sense but the pride that they all take in their city is amazing.  The love they all have for New York is something that links them all together no matter what part they are from.  

 I have noticed that "real" New Yorkers do not litter.  They respect their city enough to keep it beautiful and clean.  For example, on the subway Erica was sitting by a man and she got up to get off subway and he reprimanded her for leaving her empty bottle on the subway.  It wasn't actually her bottle of water, but the man thought that it was and it clearly offended him that she did not throw it away!  I cannot picture this happening at home!   The people here treat their city as their home! People lay around in the parks and probably spend more time outside than in their homes....therefore the city seems more like a home to them than a cramped apartment. That is not the way that people think of our cities in the South.  

Now that I have come to some of these realizations, I am going to try to respect my city more and also even though I can't take the subway to go visit The Met or see the latest show on Broadway I need to appreciate where I come from more and find things that I enjoy doing at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment