Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Frick and Met

Today Charli, Angelina, Bailey and I all headed out to attempt the subway system with out Mrs. Haney, and unfortunately it was a little chaotic because a lot of routes were shut down. After a lot of walking and trying to find a bus stop, we finally decided to get a taxi and made it to the Frick Museum. Once we were there I forgot about our crazy morning and sat down to draw a piece by Francesco Guardi, View of the Giudecca Canal and the Zattere, Venice. It caught my attention because it had a lot of sail boats and buildings, with a lot of people going about their daily lives as fishermen. Although it was on the water, the hustle and bustle reminded me of the busy lifestyle here in New York. I found it to be a good comparison from back then in the 1700's to our modern day life. Funny if you think about it, some things never change!
Following the Frick, we went to the Metropolitan. I really enjoyed this museum because I got to see A LOT of greek and egyptian pieces I learned about in art history. At one point, I found myself recognizing every piece displayed in the room and kind of felt like I was taking an art history exam! It was surreal getting to see the actual historic pieces I learned about. I also got a good Indian sculpture drawing in on top of seeing all that I got to, it made my day a success! I'm so glad I'm getting to apply my education from home, and putting it into action by seeing all these pieces in the museums, to actually drawing them up close in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment