Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Museum, Museum and Museums!

Almost everyday since we have been in New York we have gone to a different museum. So far we have been to the MoMA, the Metropolitan, the Guggenheim, the Frick, the museum of Natural History, Cloisters and the Cooper-Hewitt. I have really enjoyed each of them because they each have totally different types of art work. The MoMA had so many pieces that I recognized and had studied before. MoMA had such a variety of art work. There is something there for everyone! Modern art is what I usually like the most so the MoMA has been one of my top favorite museums that I have been to. The Metropolitan museum was completely different from MoMA. There was only one room that had modern art on display. Seeing all of the Greek statues that I have studied in art history was pretty awesome. I also loved all of the Egyptian sculptures and Asian sculptures. We took the summer interns tour, which was great! I liked having a tour guide because I get pretty lazy and don't want to read about each piece I look at so It was kind of nice having someone just tell me what each piece was! Haha! Bailey, Sarah, Angelina and I had to pick two museums to go to on our own without Mrs. Haney. One of the museums we chose to visit was the Frick. The Frick have a lot of older paintings that were breath taking but honestly, it is probably my least favorite museum. I saw a couple of pieces that I was interested in and drew them in my sketch book. I think this was my least favorite because there were not as many pieces that i recognized. By far the most interesting place we have visited has been Cloisters! The Cloisters is a museum that is a part of the Metropolitan museum and everything that is inside was donated by the Rockefellers. There is room after room filled with gorgeous medieval art and furniture. I have never seen such beautiful architecture. Another museum we went to was the Museum of Natural History. When I first stepped foot in this museum all I could think about was the movie "Night at The Museum"! I felt like a kid because I love museum that dinosaurs and large animals! I think I took fifty pictures of the elephants that were in there because I LOVE elephants and they were life size!! This museum would be number two on my favorites list, under MoMA. Today we went to the Guggenheim and the Cooper-Hewtitt, which is the National Design Museum. I have always wanted to go to the Guggenheim because I have seen pictures of it and the actual building itself is so amazing! It is one huge spiral and from each floor on the inside you can see every level of the museum. The architecture was really fun and somewhat challenging to draw. They had so many cool exhibits that used projectors that flashed different videos and pictures on the wall. After we left the Guggenheim we walked a couple of blocks over and went to the Cooper-Hewitt. This was the second museum that we chose to visit on our own. It was definately the smallest museum but had really cool, modern designs from clothing, furniture and fabrics to new inventions. Some of the designs were wild! It was crazy to think that someone had thought some of those things up! My favorite design was a dress made completely our of shoelaces. I have enjoyed all of the museum and I would like to visit some of them again if I get to come back to New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment