Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bailey August 8 Blog



August 8

It is really interesting to me how different peoples’ minds are. This thought was triggered by all the different pieces I’ve seen at the Met and MoMa and The Frick, and between the different galleries. I had a conversation the other day with Ms. Haney about what art is and compared it to craft. The defined line between them. If there was one. I think it is truly hard to tell, although I’m sure scholars have already succeeded, but I think it is all a matter of opinion. Is molding hot wax into something art or a craft? Scrapbooking? I know I use a lot of my scrapbooking techniques when creating artwork. I use my stamps(- like polka dot ones), and I’ll ink around the edges for a distressed look. Sometimes I even add some of my photography. But where is the line between scrapbooking and art? Because it is painted on a canvas instead of paper? I saw one piece and was like- how is that in a gallery? I’ve seen much better work than that- but Ms. Haney explained to me the probable thought behind it- simplification.

I’ve really enjoyed looking at the different artists and techniques and really catching up on my art history. I really hope those past works continue to inspire me and I hope to find more modern artists to motivate me to really find my style and my own inspiration. I want to be able to defend my work and really go into my thought process. As far as I know I do the things I do because I want to, not because of some psychological reason or some deep thought process behind it- because it is aesthetically pleasing.




No comments:

Post a Comment